Saturday, October 5, 2013

We Have Unwanted Visitors

On Friday 10.4.2013 I made a driveby at lunch. While the house is vacated, there remains debris we have to get to and downed trees. All looked buttoned up so back to work I went. But after work was another story. Luckily my former boss and friend had driven by and came to find folks rifling through the yard and house. Yes inside the house. He shoo'd them away. He and I walked through and found the house strewn with even more stuff - clearly folks had been going through things throwing them (one would ask how I know, but it was now more of mess than originally). As we were in the back and teenager and what I assume to be his dad walked in and made their way to the basement. I shouted after them, "Can I help you?". The teenager came back up the stairs while signaling his dad to come up. The dad came up the steps and I asked again, "Can I help you? What are you doing?" He responded that "the guy" had told him he could come in and take what he wanted. I responded, "What guy?" and he said, "The owner". I informed him, "I am the owner and I did not give him permission. You need to leave now." They went on to ask if they could have the dryer, inform me that he is a contractor and he can give me a bid, and after telling them I have a contractor, they offered their help. I responded, "Thanks. But we have a contractor and his team is already hired." They left. SIGH.

Shortly thereafter, Tom, my contractor arrived with the trailer and bobcat. Bobcat you ask? Yes. To clean the front and back yard of debris requires a bobcat. That much stuff and that many fallen branches. It is quite an undertaking. After another quick walkthrough and finalizing clean up and security plans we went on our way. But not before my husband made a call to the police. After giving them a brief history and noting the folks just entering the home, we requested a few extra drive-bys tonight until we could get the home fully secured. They abliged and advised they would call if anyone found at the home. No calls.

A drive-by around 9:00am Saturday, 10.5.13 found Tom and his crew at work. Tom in the front with the bobcat clearing away debris and his crew inside with shovels, facemasks and protective gear. Yes shovels, masks and protective gear. While we had not found excrement, rodents or animals, they were not taking any changes.

Clean up has started, security to follow as soon as we had enough room. The plan is to board broken windows, put doorknobs and locks on exterior doors and chain the garage closed.

Photos coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment